05 January 2013

First Lines: The Quentin Tarantino Edition

The tones of films are often set by the first lines of dialogue spoken in the opening scenes.  Here’s a rundown of the first lines from the films of Quentin Tarantino*.

Reservoir Dogs
  "Let me tell you what 'Like a Virgin's' about.  It's about a girl who digs a guy with a big dick.  The whole song, it's a metaphor for big dicks."
- Mr. Brown (Quentin Tarantino)

Pulp Fiction
  "Forget it, it's too risky.  I'm through doing that shit."
- Pumpkin (Tim Roth)

Jackie Brown
  "Flight 710 to Cabo San Lucas, now boarding, Gate 103.  First class only.  Flight 710 to Cabo San Lucas, now boarding, Gate 103.  First class only."
- Girl at Security Gate (Colleen Mayne)

Kill Bill
  "Do you find me sadistic?  You know, I bet I could fry an egg on your head right now, if I wanted to.  You know, kiddo, I'd like to believe you're aware enough, even now, to know that there's nothing sadistic in my actions.  Well, maybe to those other jokers.  But not you.  No, kiddo.  At this moment, this is me at my most masochistic."
- Bill (David Carradine)

Grindhouse: Death Proof
  "Hold on, I gotta come up!  I gotta take the world's biggest fuckin' piss!"
- Arlene (Vanessa Ferlito)

Inglourious Basterds1
  "Go back inside and shut the door.  Julie, go get me some water for my wash up, then get inside with your sisters."2
- Perrier La Padite (Denis Menochet)

* Minus Django Unchained.
1This is the last Tarantino film that was edited by frequent collaborator Sally Menke, prior to her death in 2010. 2Translated from French.

No comments:

Post a Comment